Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Books Read In 2012 - Reading List For 2013

 At the beginning of 2012 I joined in with the Charles Dickens Reading Challenge that Abby at Newly Impassioned Soul was hosting. I chose to read three books and started out well by reading and reviewing A Tale Of Two Cities. After that I got busy with my family's major move and so only ended up reading one novel, one short story and the first couple chapters of another novel. The list of books I read in 2012 is fairly short but I am mostly pleased with what I did read.


Books Read in 2012:

  • The Lightkeeper's Bride by Colleen Coble  (Reviewed)
  • The Lightkeeper's Ball by Colleen Coble  (Reviewed)
  • A Vision Of Lucy by Margaret Brownley  (Reviewed)
  • A Tale Of Two Cities by Charles Dickens  (Reviewed at Newly Impassioned Soul)
  • Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan  (Reviewed)
  • Christmas At Pemberley by Regina Jeffers  (Reviewed)
  • Love Comes Softly by Janette Oke  (Reviewed)
  • A Gown Of Spanish Lace by Janette Oke  (Reviewed)
  • Lesley Castle by Jane Austen  (Reviewed)
  • Only A Novel by Amy Dashwood
  • Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (finished)
  • The Story of the Goblins Who Stole a Sexton by Charles Dickens (short story)


Partially Read Books in 2012:

  • A Jane Austen Devotional (reading through)  (Reviewed)
  • The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (started)
  • Les Miserables by Victor Hugo (started)
  • Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (started)
  • Jane Austen Made Me Do It edited by Laurel Ann Nattress (started, Christmas gift)
  • The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy (started)
  • St. Ives, Being the Adventures of a French Prisoner in England by Robert Louis Stevenson (read a couple chapters but online so couldn't finish it)
~*~


 And I always have a list of books I intend to read or re-read. This year being the 200th Anniversary of Pride and Prejudice I thought it would be nice to not only re-read that but try something I've never done before: read all six of Jane Austen's major novels in one year!

2013 Reading List:

  • The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (finish)
  • A Little Princess by Francs Hodgson Burnett
  • Jane Austen Made Me Do It edited by Laurel Ann Nattress (finish and review, Christmas gift)
  • Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (re-read)
  • Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (re-read for 200th anniverary)
  • Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (re-read)
  • Emma by Jane Austen (re-read)
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen (re-read)
  • Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (re-read)
  • Juvenilia Short Stories by Jane Austen (re-read)
  • Confessions Of A Jane Austen Addict by Laurie (re-read and review)
  • North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (re-read and review, Christmas gift)
  • Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
  • Pieces Of Light by Julie Cave (finish)
  • Abide With Me: A Photographic Journey through Great British Hymns by John H. Parker, Paul Seawright (Christmas gift)
  • The Body In The Library (Miss Marple book) by Agatha Christie
  • Nemesis (Miss Marple book) by Agatha Christie
  • Captain Wentworth's Diary by Amanda Grange (finish)
  • Just Jane by Nancy Moser (finish)
  • The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy (finish)
  • Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink

There's only 21 books listed here but I'm quite a slow reader so this is a fairly long list for me, especially with all the classics listed. If I achieve reading all of these I'll add more to read or re-read.


What was your favorite book you read in 2012?

Are you planning on reading any of the same books as me in 2013?







7 comments:

Little Lady said...

The all time BEST book I read (and discovered) in 2012, was North & South by Gaskell. SO fantastic, I adore and love it!

Crafts4others said...

Some of the books you have listed for reading this year, I have on my classics club list; secret garden, a little princess, most of the Jane Austen books, and Nort & South. I have tried to read Great Expectations but could never finish it.

Cathy said...

'Great Expectations' was one of my favorite reads this year and I'd really like to get to 'Sense and Sensibility' soon. It's the only Jane Austen book I haven't read yet. Looks like some great books on your list. :)

Happy New Year!

Rhoswen Faerie Wrose said...

You can't go wrong with Austen, or North&South, or those two FHB books. ;-)
I made my challenge for the year to be at least 40 books, but it will probably be a lot more...depending on how fast I read through some of the classics I have listed, too. :-P
I figure, though, I should be able to get up to the 50 I did last year.

And I highly recommend joining Goodreads to keep track of all this. ;-)

Elisa said...

I read (and still own) a paperback edition of "A Little Princess" with illustrations by Tasha Tudor. I read "Secret Garden" years ago as well.

The Christmas season isn't quite over yet--think of the "12 Days of Christmas" song! I plan to play Christmas music through the iTunes radio section until Epiphany!

wxroz said...

Caddie Woodlawn is wonderful! I hope you enjoy it! I got the sequel, Magical Melons, last summer and hope to read it this year, maybe after re-reading Caddie again. :)

Rissi said...

Totally enjoyed 'Just Jane.' :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...